The Council of American Master Mariners, Inc.
Sidelights February 2017 issue is out now!
View from the Bridge
President Captain Jeff Cowan - Mariners face a rigorous process to maintain their required certifications and licenses.
In the Council
NOLA Chapter keeps close watch on the EL FARO hearings.
CAMM's Website to be updated.
Chaplain's Column: Father Oubre - Remembering Mariners lost in WWII.
X-Deputy MARAD Administrator takes on new role.
Peter, the Odyssey of a Merchant Mariner - The last installment.
CAMM Champions Safety Issues in 1947.
First Ice Breaking LNG.
Polar Code is the law.
Sidelights is written by master mariners and pilots for master mariners and pilots. It is the place we share our ideas, concerns, and experiences with others in our profession from all over the nation, and now, world. It is an outlet for our views to be heard by industry, government and regulatory officials. Sidelights is a way we communicate.
Sidelights is distributed to US Flag Ships, key industry officials, government officials (including MARAD, USCG, Congressional committee chairs, etc.), all CAMM members,international shipmaster associations and international regulatory entities such as IFSMA and the IMO.
In Each Issue...
• View From the Bridge report from our own CAMM National President regarding the hot issue of the month;
• CAMM Chapter & Committee Reports;
• Maritime news and updates;
• The most current issues facing mariners and their effects on the industry;
• Original, timely articles submitted by maritime professionals;
• Seafarers’ rights by Father Sinclair Oubre, CAMM Chaplain;
• IFSMA: News from the Secretariat;
• In the Membership: poems, perspectives, and letters;
• Peter, the Odyssey of a Merchant Mariner by Captain Peter Chelemedos
• International Perspective, featuring articles about or written from around the world.
Submit an Article...
To submit an article, please mail or email or send your articles, photos and related material to:
CAMM Sidelights c/o R.J. Klein
4675 144th Pl SE, Bellevue, WA 98006
Advertise in Sidelights...
Sidelights accepts advertisements to support publishing and distribution costs. All ads are subject to approval by the Sidelights Committee Advertising Rates and Tech Specs web view OR download pdf.
February: February 15 (articles due by January 22)
April*: April 1 (articles due by March 5)
June*: June 1 (articles due by May 5)
October: October 1 (articles due by September 5)
December: December 1 (articles due by November 1)
*Dates subject to change dependent on CAMM Annual Meeting date
Sidelights welcomes your articles, comments, illustrations and photographs. All submissions will be reviewed, but are not guaranteed to be published. Sidelights’ goal is not to regurgitate the news, it is to use that news and explain how it affects the Master and industry, both pros and cons.
General Good Writing Guidelines
Clear, concise and convey meaning.
Use pronouns (it, them, this, that, thing) as little as possible. The reader will eventually lose track of what this/that refers to.
Verbs, adverbs, and adjectives are your friends, use “is, was, be” as little as possible.
Draw connections. Don’t assume the audience knows what you mean.
If your article is regarding a controversial topic, a more effective way to get your message across is to explain the problem/situation and propose a possible solution. Don’t accuse. Keep it to business; don’t make it personal. You will be taken more seriously than someone hot off the collar. Though on rare occasions, a hot off the collar approach is necessary.
Be mindful of copyrights:
Cutting and pasting bits and pieces from various web sites is plagiarism.
You can “quote” other articles; however, reprinting text, photos or graphics requires permission.
Photos from USCG Gallery (send the link so we can use the official credit), Government sites (NOAA) are usually public domain or specified as release for press use, or Wikimedia Commons has many copyleft photos available for use.
Photos from news agencies are copyrighted; we cannot use these without written permission.
MS Word/Works or plain text (.txt). Do not spend extra time formatting fonts/sizes; we will reformat to fit our magazine. If you would like words emphasized, bold or italic will suffice. You may use short headlines to section your article. Sidebars will additional information are welcome. Generally, 650-750 words for 1 page with photo/graphic; 1200-1300 for spread (2 facing pages) with 1-2 photos/graphics.
• Adobe PhotoShop (.psd) or Illustrator (.ai) - include fonts or create outlines.
• .gif is only for web site publication - they do not reproduce well for print publication.
• Print (we will scan)
• Draw your own! (you can submit electronically in formats above, or snail mail for us to scan)
• Camera Settings for best print reproduction: Highest resolution available, and set to superfine.
• Scanner settings: for most pages, 300 dpi at 4x6 inches is sufficient, 1200 dpi max. For cover photos, set to 400 • dpi at 8"x10" output size.
Subscribe to Sidelights!
While Sidelights is complimentary to every member
of CAMM, paid subscriptions to cover costs for printing
and postage is available to those who take keen interest
in CAMM and our collective opinions, including
future prospective CAMM members.
Send your $20 check (payable to CAMM) and address to:
CAMM Sidelights Subscriptions
30623 Chihuahua Valley Rd.
Warner Springs, CA 92086-9220